Special Memories of Bibby

St. Patrick’s Day--On this day in 1904 a baby girl was born that became my beloved great aunt, “Bibby.” Born Anne Elizabeth Heard, she always loved the fact that she got to celebrate her birthday on this Irish holiday, because of her Scotch-Irish heritage. She always wore green and handed out shamrocks on her special day. (By the way—did you know that shamrocks are the symbol of the celebration because St Patrick used the three-leaf clover to explain the Trinity when he was evangelizing Ireland.)

Bibby was like an extra grandmother to me. She taught me to sew, including matching plaids, putting in zippers and lining a tailored garment. I even followed in her footsteps and became a Home Economics teacher. She bought me my first sewing machine and we would compare teacher stories even after she had been retired for more than 30 years. 

Since she never married, Bibby was not wealthy and didn’t have a lot of material possessions; in fact she always wore the same purple oval ring. When she was in her nineties she had caregivers who came in to take care of her daily needs. One day the signature ring was missing…no where to be found, but several months later a ring reappeared, but it wasn’t really her ring. It was similar in shape, but the stone was not purple, but a smoky topaz. Someone must have taken the ring, pawned it, and then when they returned for it, the original one must have been gone, so they replaced it with a substitute that could fool an elderly set of eyes. 

When Bibby died at the age of 97 I requested the ring, not because of the financial value, but the sentimental significance. It wasn’t the original, but it still reminds me of her and it has a good story that goes along with it. Each time I wear the ring, I feel a connection to my great aunt and thank God for the part that she played in my life. She helped to shape and mold me into the person I am today.  

So Happy St Patrick’s Day and Happy 107th Birthday Bibby—I love you.

Philippians 1:3 I thank my God every time I remember you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!