Senior Citizens Discount

Recently we went out to eat at an all you can eat buffet. Kids under 3 were free; kids 4-12 were $2.99 and adults were $7.99. After sitting down at the table we were checking out the receipt just to be sure we had been charged appropriately for the 3 and 5 year old children. Margaret discovered that there had been an additional 10% discount given. Upon closer examination, it was revealed that I had been given the Senior Citizens Discount. Now I don’t really mind the fact that it had cost less for me to eat...buuuut…it does kind of bother me that all the man did was look at me and issued the discount without stopping to ask if I was old enough for the reduced price. 

Isn’t it funny that I don’t seem to mind when people think I am younger than my years, but I don’t want them to add years to my age. In Africa, it is considered an honor to be old, since many people die at an early age from illness, poverty, hardships or AIDS. So why are we in the US consumed with the concept of looking, acting and being young?  Is it because we think that if we seem young, maybe we will live longer and be able to beat the inevitable—death? I really do not want live forever on this earth, but, I guess I am a bit vain in that while I am living here I want to look good. 

Lord help me to grasp the concept that the way I look is not nearly as important as the way that I have lived. My prayer is that I don’t waste a single year that I have left on silly unimportant things, but investing in the future of God’s kingdom and bearing fruit that will last for all eternity.

Psalm 92:12-15
The righteous will flourish like a palm tree,
   they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;
planted in the house of the LORD,
   they will flourish in the courts of our God.
They will still bear fruit in old age,
   they will stay fresh and green,
proclaiming, “The LORD is upright;
   he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!