Back to Reality

In April of 2010 I was let go from my job—downsizing they call it and yes it does have that feeling…you are being cut down to size. It is humbling and challenging to be terminated, especially in a bad economy. What were the prospects of finding a job in a small community such as mine? But God had other plans in mind; He determined that it was time for me to begin the ministry opportunity that He had placed on my heart several years prior. 

My daughter told me about a Proverbs 31 Conference called She Speaks put on for women just like me—women whom God had called into a variety of ministry opportunities. I was on their site registering for it immediately, not knowing how I could possibly afford it, but God provided.

Months after registering it was finally time to leave the comforts of home and fly to North Carolina alone, yet not lonely, since my best friend, Jesus, was going with me.   Not only that, but after the conference started I was connected with hundreds of “sisters”, several of whom I keep in touch with today.

The conference was amazing! The speakers were fabulous, the messages were meaningful, the planning and preparations were meticulous—definitely one of the best conferences I have ever attended. Prior to the conference, I feared that there would be too much “rivalry” among the women, but quickly discovered that each person I encountered cared deeply about the other women.  There was no competition, but camaraderie…after all we were on the same team, serving the same King.

When you leave an event where you have been on a high, it can be difficult to go home and return to reality. After boarding the plane, all I wanted to do was review the pages of notes I had taken and reflect on the things God had taught me.  Unfortunately,  my return to reality began almost immediately; we had barely gotten off of the ground when the lady in front of me pushed the assistance button. A flight attendant scurried to answer her call and learned that she was short of breath; the crew quickly called to see if there was a doctor on board. Two were seated directly behind me, so now I was surrounded by the flurry of activity. Oxygen was provided, food was delivered, questions were asked and vitals taken.

What could I possibly do to help in this situation? At that moment God brought to mind the story that Lysa TerKeurst communicated at the conference about calling on the name of Jesus, because that’s where our power comes from in dire circumstances. So I reached through the seat, leaned forward and asked the distraught passenger if she would like to have me pray with her. She graciously agreed and then began to calm down enough to put the oxygen aside. 

Maybe now I could get back to basking in the presence of the Lord and reflecting on what I had learned while at She Speaks. A few short minutes later directly behind me one of the doctor’s children began to say, “I don’t feel so good.” The rustling sound of the air sickness bag told me this might not end so well and you guessed it, up came the Taco Bell that had been consumed earlier. Not even that confusion could steal my joy… God had given me a gift at the weekend conference. He was beginning to fulfill His promise to use me in ministry.

I hope to go back to the Proverbs 31 She Speaks Conference this year, but after being out of work for nine months and finances being tight, it will be difficult, but I can rest assured that if God wants me there, He will provide a way. I hope to see you there!

Click here to sign up for the scholarship for She Speaks.
For more information on the She Speaks Conference click here.

Proverbs 3:4-5
Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
      And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
      And He shall direct your paths.

Comments

Lynn Cowell said…
Olga,
Thank you so much for sharing your heart! I am glad that you were able to attend She Speaks in the past. I do pray that whether it is through a scholarship or other means, that you will be back to join us again!
His,
Lynn Cowell
Proverbs 31 Ministries
Thank you Lynn. I hope I'll be there too--I'm praying for God's provision.
In His Service.

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!