Modern Day Witnesses

If two of the fascinating people in the news at the beginning of 2011 are any indication of what this year will be like, I think it has the potential to be a great one. It is refreshing to me when a person will openly profess their faith in public, totally unashamed of what others may think of them.

On New Years Day Texas Christian University played Wisconsin in The Rose Bowl and the Horned Frogs were led to victory by quarterback Andy Dalton. He has not always been on the winning team, but has maintained composure and a strong witness no matter the outcome of the game. During the post-game interviews, Andy referred to 1 Peter 5:6 about how when we exhibit humility God will lift us up in His time. This bold witness was seen around the country and gave me great respect for this up and coming athlete.
The other person might be classified as a polar opposite of the elite college student. Ted Williams was a homeless man who had suffered with an addiction to drugs and alcohol, until a surprise encounter changed his life. Ted was advertising his God given talent, his voice, on a cardboard sign pleading for money when a reporter flipped out a camera and recorded his voice. The astute reporter put the video on the web and Ted quickly became a YouTube sensation. He has now appeared on The Today Show twice and has had numerous offers in broadcasting in less than a week. Ted also has openly professed a changed life on national TV. He gives God the credit for turning his life around.

These two men have encouraged and inspired me by their actions; I hope they have done the same for you. Let’s let 2011 be a year where we are not afraid to let others know of our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and to give Him the credit for our transformed lives.

Do you ever find it difficult to stand up for God? Who do you know that is bold in their witness no matter what the situation? What steps can you take to be more open in your faith?

1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. 

Since I first wrote this, there has been a bit of controversy regarding Ted Williams. In all of the media frenzy surrounding him, he has had an altercation with his daughter, perhaps reverted back to drinking and checked into rehab. I'm sure that if I had gone from homeless to celebrity status in just a few short days I would be having problems too. None of us is perfect and without our failures, so I still want to say that I look forward to him doing great things. I am praying for him and pulling for him to succeed in changing his life and being transformed into the likeness of our Savior. I hope you will join me in praying for Ted.


www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!