Hair--Our Crowning Glory

I'm not offended by all the dumb-blonde jokes because I know that I'm not dumb.  I also know I'm not blonde.  ~Dolly Parton

Hair…we spend a lot of time and money on it. We cut it, grow it, color it, highlight it, extend it, condition it, perm it, straighten it, braid it, curl it, roll it, and blow dry it. We wear it short, long or in between; we wear it up and down.  Need I go on?

Why is our hair so important? Is it because it is so visible to other people? Is it because we want to look younger? Or is it because we care more about our outer appearance than our inner beauty? I’m not sure the answer to any of those questions, but the Bible does tell us a few things about our hair.
  • We should be proud of our gray hair - Proverbs 20:29 (So why do we hide it?)
  • The hairs on our head are numbered - Matthew 10:30 (God must have a hard time keeping up with my numbers since I seem to be losing them all the time!)
  • Not a hair on our head will perish when you are doing God’s will - Luke 21:18 (How well are you protecting your hair from danger?)
  • A woman’s long hair is her glory - 1 Corinthians 11:15 (So why do we spend so much money to have it cut off?)
  • Our hair is not as important as our good deeds - 1 Timothy 2:9-10 (Which one consumes more of your time-styling hair or performing good deeds?)
  • Our beauty comes not from our hair, but from our inner self - 1 Peter 3:3-4 (What would other people say is more beautiful in you--your hair or your inner self?)

Now I am not saying that we shouldn’t take care of our hair and try to look as good as possible, but I think that we should make sure that we look beautiful on the inside and in God’s eyes before spending valuable time obsessing on our hair.

1 Peter 3:3-4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

Comments

Christy said…
Good one, Olga! I love how God is giving you such a wide variety of blog topics!!
It's funny how just living life God shows you how He fits into it. This story actually came about because of what someone was telling me about their hair mishaps.

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!