37 Cent Onion


It was almost 7:30 PM and I had been gone from my house for nearly 12 hours. I had just finished ringing up and paying for $26.60 worth of groceries. I was tired and still had to go home and prepare the purchased items for an event the next morning. When gathering up the groceries and my purse to leave the store, I realized that I had not rung up the small yellow onion hiding in the back of my cart. 

Thoughts began going through my mind—it’s only one little onion, I could just throw it in the bag and be out of here. No one would know—no one except me and God of course. So I unloaded my arms and rang up the $.37 onion then dug in the bottom of my purse for the correct change to deposit into the coin receiver. There was no applause or fanfare; no congratulations for making the right choice. It would have been much easier just to have tossed the onion in the bag, but it would have been wrong. 

Everyday I encourage people to do the right thing, to be obedient to God and to make the hard choices. So perhaps this was a test to see if I really do what I preach and I passed the test with flying colors. 

We don’t have any idea what God views as the important things that we do while living here on earth, but in many ways I think that it is the obedience in the everyday ordinary things, just like the $.37 onion that will cause Him to one day say, “Well done my good and faithful servant.”

What have you done today that He will commend you for?

Hosea 14:9 Who is wise? Let them realize these things. Who is discerning? Let them understand. The ways of the LORD are right; the righteous walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them.

Comments

Beth said…
I had to smile when I read this post. How many times have I made it out to the car, with all three kids in tow and realized there was something at the bottom of my cart left unpaid for?!! You're so right, how easy would it be to just pile in the car and head home. Thankfully, I have a clear conscious in this area :) It probably helps that I know that not only is God watching, but 3 other pairs of eyes are watching and learning!

blessings,
Beth
You are so right. Your kids are watching every single move you make whether you think they are or not. I am so glad your children have a godly example to watch.

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!