Belonging


Have you ever felt out of place or like you didn’t belong? Or have you wished for a place where you could be exactly who God created to be? Do you wonder why you are different from those around you? I can answer “yes” to all of those questions.  

It has been confirmed that I don’t fit into this world. While eating lunch at a local sandwich shop, there was a table of six middle-aged women. It seemed that they were probably visiting the valley from who knows where, because they were taking pictures at the non-descript delicatessen in the area. 

I wasn’t trying to listen in on their conversation, but due to the proximity of the tables and the volume of the dialogue I couldn’t help but overhear it. The women were giving each other advice on how to get rid of a hangover. (I had a really good suggestion—not to drink so much, but didn’t think they would welcome me jumping into their discussion or appreciate my idea.) Like I said earlier, these ladies were not youngsters that you might expect to be discussing topics like drinking too much, and I thought that they should have learned the secret to overindulging before reaching the prime of life.

One lady chimed in that she knew someone who had just celebrated 30 days of sobriety by going to a bar. Now that sounds like a great idea to me—what do you think?

When I listen to conversations like this, it makes me realize that I don’t really belong in this world. I was created for a new and different place. I am not at home here, but I long for my eternal destiny where I will dwell forever in the presence of the Lord. 

I’m not positive, but I hope that the conversations will be very different in my future dwelling.

2 Corinthians 5:6-10 Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. For we live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

Comments

Olga, my girlfriend and I were just discussing this very thing last night! We are nomads and strangers on this Earth, and anytime we get too comfortable here we're headed for problems! I love your heart and miss you so much. Sending hugs to you from MS!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!