The WOW of Life


Last week I left the house while it was still dark. As I drove through the mountains, the sky began to get lighter. Through the ups and downs and the twists and turns, I was listening to K-LOVE. The morning show topic was the WOW of Christmas—the miracles of the event.
Some of the ones that they mentioned were:
  • The visits by the angels to Mary, Joseph, Zechariah and the shepherds
  • The virgin birth
  • The star leading the wise men to the baby Jesus
But as I listened to the talk show hosts I realized that I was experiencing a WOW as I drove. The simple fact that every morning when I get out of bed, I can be assured that the sun will come up. This is a miracle. I didn’t have to question if the darkness would be broken by daylight that morning; I knew it would be.

If there were no God holding the world together making it turn with precision, our lives would be chaos. We would not know when the sun might appear and the moon would have no pattern to its waxing and waning. The farmers would not be able to plant their crops and harvest them because the seasons would not be predictable. So do you see the miracle? 

God is a God of order. He created the world in such a way that we know what to expect on the earth, in the sky in the seas. Aren’t you glad that God performs a miracle all day, everyday?

Now you might be wondering why I have been calling it a miracle since the sunrise seems so routine. Anything that humans cannot control or do by themselves is a miracle in my mind and must be attributed to the Creator of the Universe. Some of you will probably disagree with me and say that it is not really a miracle because it is not unusual or extraordinary and it can be explained by the laws of nature and that is okay. You are entitled to your opinion and I will stick to mine. One thing we can probably agree on is that we are thankful that there is order in this world and that everyday we can count on the sun to rise and set.

Psalm 77:13-14 Your ways, God, are holy.
   What god is as great as our God?
You are the God who performs miracles;
   you display your power among the peoples.

Ecclesiastes 1:4-5 Generations come and generations go,
   but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises and the sun sets,
   and hurries back to where it rises.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

My Latest Award!

Mount of the Holy Cross