Jesus Is the Reason


I have just left City Market in Avon, shopping for my weekly groceries. There is ample evidence that it is Christmas week. The parking lot is jam packed with cars bearing license plates from across the US parked haphazardly, the scent of cedar greets you as you arrive at the entrance and the aisles are swarming with customers wandering aimlessly around looking for the necessary items to create the Christmas magic. 

It can be challenging for “locals” at this time of year, being invaded by the masses who don’t know where they are going, or how to drive in the snowy conditions, but my heart goes back to the days when we too were visitors so I try to be patient, loving and kind to the people who gather here for the holiday season. 

After checking out with our groceries, my husband remembered that he needed to pick up a prescription, so I stood at the front of the store looking at the masses in line, people not only from this country, but from  across the globe who had converged on our beautiful area. Then a disturbing thought crossed my mind--these people had traveled from near and far for a holiday, yet many of them did not even know or understand the true meaning of Christmas.

My first reaction was that I needed to do something to let them know why we celebrate the birth of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.  I wanted to get on the loud speaker and tell them the significance, but I knew that most of them would not listen or even care, plus they would think I was crazy. I knew that no sign or flyer would make a difference to them, but there is one thing I can do for them. 

I can pray, so I ask God to reveal Himself to them while they are in the midst of the beauty that He created. I pray that they will encounter Him in a new way and that they will seek to find out why we celebrate this holiday. I pray that their hearts will be pricked with a longing to know more about baby Jesus and why He came to this earth. And I pray that just maybe as they pass our church when they travel down Highway 6, they will be compelled to stop and attend one of the four Christmas Eve services where they can hear the message of hope and salvation. I pray that God’s Holy Spirit will be at work in their lives and if God chooses to use me that I will be ready and willing to show them that Jesus is the reason for the season.

Luke 2:9-11 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord."

Comments

Christy said…
Olga, I would love you to be a full time ambassador to our visitors! Sharing God's message with them, instead of honking and swearing at them in the roundabouts :)
I just wanted to clarify your comment, because I try to refrain at every opportunity the honking and swearing. I don't think you were referring to my behavior, but the behavior of others. Am I correct?

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!