Unexpected Gifts

This morning I went to Starbucks in anticipation of meeting with a ministry leader from a particular church in the area regarding an upcoming event. I knew I should have confirmed the meeting since we both had very busy weekends with Christmas programs at our respective churches, but I hadn’t….maybe she would remember anyway.

Arriving early to the crowded coffee shop I stepped into the line not knowing what surprises were awaiting me. The man in front of me was easily recognizable. Most people in the area have encountered him at one time or another since he is the “official greeter” at the Vail Valley Medical Center, Richard Norris. He insisted that I go ahead of him and although I protested thinking that he had much more important things to be doing I relented and allowed him to bless me. Then he continued the blessing by telling the store clerk that he would be buying my chai tea latte with skim milk. Once again I objected, but he for a second time was convinced to allow him to be the giver of surprises by informing me that it was much easier for him to give to me than for me to be the recipient of his gift.  

After thanking him I sat down to enjoy my tea and see if my appointment would happen and get some work done while waiting, but instead began to think back to the encounters that my family had at the medical center which involved Richard. Surgeries, miscarriages, volunteering and visitations—each of these times we had been greeted by this kind man who made us feel special and loved. He was nurturing and encouraging. You just knew that he was an extraordinary man because of the way he treated each and every person who entered the doors of the hospital. I was thankful for him and the ministry that he has in our small town. 

After reflecting on the memories of Richard, my “to do list” began to grow as I lingered, now doubting that my appointment would show up and was just about to leave when the generous man passed my table on his way to the hospital for a day of work. I thanked him again for the treat, but then realized that God had cancelled one of my appointments because He had a different one planned for me. I invited Richard to sit for a few minutes to listen to the vision for the upcoming Valley-Wide Christian Women’s Meeting. His wisdom and encouragement was just what I needed this morning and as he left, he promised that he would pray all the way to the hospital for the women of this valley to come together in hope and unity through the diversity of faith. His prayers would be the best gift of the day.

Thank you God for the gifts you gave me this morning through an unplanned encounter with Your servant.

Proverbs 19:21 Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.
 

Comments

Margaret said…
Mom, this is so cool!! And you always say to "expect the unexpected". Love that it happened to you today. :)
I love it when my eyes are able to see the things all around me that are unexpected blessings.
Anonymous said…
Hi, I was just looking up Richard's last name so we could write him a thank you note and I found this page! I read it and knew exactly who you were talking about! Richard is the kindest person with a gentle heart and a wonderful spirit! I am glad we agree on what a gem he is!

Have a blessed day!

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

My Latest Award!

Mount of the Holy Cross