Lassie--A Faithful Companion?


Lassie--a faithful companion
When I think back over the Christmases in my past, my thoughts always go back to the year that I got my first dog. For a long time my greatest desire had been for a dog that would be my loyal, a faithful companion, just like Lassie was for Timmy in the TV show. I imagined that the beautiful collie would go with me on adventures and rescue me if needed just like I viewed each week. 

I had begged and pleaded for days, weeks and months. It was all that I wanted that year for Christmas; nothing else would suffice. I thought that the dog would make my life perfect, after all isn’t that what every shy, quiet eleven year old girl needs? 

The brown and white collie/mixed breed puppy arrived on Christmas morning, but it didn’t take long to realize that the dog would not fill the desires of my heart. The dog didn’t want to go on adventures with me, but instead chose to run miles from home on his own exciting journeys. The thought of rescuing me when in trouble never would have crossed that dog’s mind. And the only time that he really wanted to be my best friend was when it was dinner time and he wanted his food.

What I didn’t realize at the time was that my real need was for Jesus, not a dog. After all, Jesus would love me unconditionally and would be my faithful companion throughout my life. He would be there to rescue me from many dangers and trials and hurts. And the adventures that He would take me on have been too numerous to count. Yes, Jesus is what I needed all along.

Have you discovered Jesus or are you still seeking other things to fill the void in your life? Seek Him this Christmas and your life will never be the same.

Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!