Who's the Boss?


“Nobody is my boss” were the words that my grandson declared from the backseat of the car. It wasn’t really out of defiance so much as just a statement of fact. My husband and I just looked at each other and laughed. 

At the age of six you may think you control your world but you really cannot have any real understanding that throughout your lifetime, you will have many people in authority over you, starting with your parents and teachers. The perception of the government being your boss by telling you things like you must pay taxes and how fast to drive is not something that I could effectively describe to the young boy, but I knew that one day in the future he would grasp the concept. Someday when he enters the workplace, he will learn quickly that not only is he not his own boss, but that there are many types of people with power, some that are honest, fair and easy to work for, while others are mean, harsh and unreasonable. 

All of these bosses will be a part of his growing and learning how to maneuver through life, but the ultimate “boss” that I hope he learns to love, honor and respect is his Heavenly Father who has a perfect plan for his life, but also demands obedience. The other authority figures along the way can help him get to this place in his journey, so I am beginning to pray that the men and women placed over him will point him to the boss who matters for all eternity.

All the ends of the earth
   will remember and turn to the LORD,
and all the families of the nations
   will bow down before him,
for dominion belongs to the LORD
   and he rules over the nations. Psalm 22:27-28

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!