Is God Unfair?


While eating lunch at Panera Bread in Houston, the man at the table next to ours bumped my chair and teasingly said that it was the fault of his Sunday School teacher while motioning across the table. A conversation started between the Chinese seminary student, the Hispanic private detective and me. In their minds it might have been an opportunity to witness to a stranger, but in mine it was another one of those divine appointments.

The private eye asked me if I thought God was an unfair judge and of course I replied, “No, He is a just God and always does the right thing.” The student turned to his teacher and said, “See that’s what I think too.” I proceeded to ask what Bible verse he was referring to and when he couldn’t provide me with one I thought maybe he didn’t know what he was talking about however, I was quickly proven wrong through further discussion. 

The Chinese teacher began explaining the passage in Revelation where the two books are opened—the book of life and the book of deeds. The people written about in the book of deeds were judged by God according to what they have done during their life on earth and thrown in the lake of fire. However the people whose names were written in the book of life were not judged according to the same standards, but were allowed into the presence of God in heaven. Thus the explanation for God being an unfair judge was correct. 

Does that make God wrong or unjust because He does not judge everyone the same? No, God is God and He can do anything He wants—He sets the rules. Is He unfair? Well I guess your answer might depend on where your name is written. If you are in the book of deeds, you might think He is very unfair, because He casts those people from His presence but if you are in the book of life, you will think He is very fair, because you deserve to be punished for your sins, but instead are given grace and mercy because of your acceptance of Jesus. 

Where is your name written?

Revelation 20:12-15 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Comments

Christy said…
Definitely a Divine Appt - Olga Style :)
Warren said…
No, God isn't fair. If He were we'd all get what we deserve!

Thankfully, I don't get what I deserve but I get grace because I trust Jesus Christ.

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!