Homeless Helper


Having just moved to Boulder from Texas, I was not used to the drastic weather changes that could take place in just minutes in Colorado. I had been out running errands that day and had on a skirt, and short sleeve shirt with flip flops, but suddenly the winds brought in a cold front.

Since I had only more stop to make that afternoon, I decided not to return home to change into warmer attire before stopping at First Presbyterian Church to drop off paperwork for an up coming event. Not being familiar with the building, I parked and ran into the closest door which was flung open by a greeter. The friendly man was shabbily dressed, missing teeth and scruffy from not shaving in recent days, but made me feel warm and welcome on that cold afternoon. 

He quickly assessed that I was not dressed appropriately for the weather’s rapid transformation and made an assumption that made me laugh…but also think. The man presumed that I was there because I was homeless and needed to visit the clothing closet that the church provided for the needy and offered for me to come in and pick out a sweater to warm myself up. At first I was a bit offended by the offer—did I really look that bad? But upon second thought, I was honored to have been offered a sweater by a total stranger who was showing the love and care of God for a person he had never met. I want to be more like that kind man because He is like Jesus.

This incident made me realize that no matter where we live, what our social status or the color of our skin, we are all equal in the eyes of God. We have similar needs, wants and desires.

When my mother was a little girl, her mother used to tell her, “You are no better than anyone else and no one is better than you.”  I think this is exactly they way God wants us view ourselves and others—equal, without favoritism. 

James 2:1 My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

My Latest Award!

Mount of the Holy Cross