R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Last spring while walking in the beautiful Vail Valley I came across a group of students and their coach who had been practicing lacrosse at the community field and were on their way back to the high school field house. There were about 6 or 7 husky young men walking on the sidewalk and as I approached them, they made no effort to move to one side; instead they made me shift to the grass, so they could pass by.

It took me back to the days of my youth when we were actually taught to respect people who were older than we were and imagine this—to even stand when they entered the room. Today, it seems that many people do not teach their children to respect--not teachers, community servants, our country, our laws, life, etc.  When children do not learn this at an early age, it is extremely difficult to learn it later in life.

The coach missed a great opportunity to demonstrate manners to his players. Maybe that is why we have so many things in the news each day about teens that are doing awful things to each other, including beatings, murders, rapes, slander, bullying and it goes on and on.

Now I am not saying that I want kids to stand when I come in the room, but it would be nice for them to at least move over on the sidewalk, so I can pass by. I also think that we are doing a great disservice to God by not teaching youth to show concern and respect for people, because it ultimately carries over to Him. They think that they are equal to Him or that He is their buddy and so they don’t have an admiration and a sense of awe for Him. 

How would you rate yourself in the respect category toward God? Do you revere Him above all else? Do you give Him the praise that He is due? Do you pay Him honor with your time, your talents and your money?

“For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; He is to be feared above all gods.” 1 Chronicles 16:25 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

My Latest Award!

Mount of the Holy Cross