Trash or Treasures



Getting ready for a garage sale can be a monumental task. Have you ever noticed that going through each drawer, closet and cabinet not only takes time and effort to determine what to keep and what to get rid of, but it makes a big mess before you get things straightened back up?

Our neighborhood is having a garage sale in a couple of weeks, so I have been methodically cleaning out different parts of the house. Sometimes I question myself by thinking why did I ever think I would need this? Other times I wonder how I got so many dish towels or other objects. And then there are the tools…why do we need to have so many screwdrivers when we really only use two?

The piles of “trash and treasures” are growing in our garage awaiting the day of their departure from my home only to be carried off to another one which probably doesn't need them any more than I do. Our lives are similar. There is a lot of junk that that takes up our time and energy. We are told in the Bible that we need to get rid of those things—throw them off, because they keep us from being able to run the race of life effectively. 

Maybe we could all use a “clean out day” or maybe even a “remodel your life day” where we evaluate all of the activities, habits, attitudes and thoughts to see if they are causing us to be more productive for Jesus or do they just get in the way and hinder us. 

Is your life still the same today that is was last year, five years ago or even ten years ago? If so, then maybe it’s time for a makeover starting with a good old fashioned cleaning in order to make room for the new you.
 
Hebrew 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!