Birdie and Chic



Birdie and Chic--two uncommon yet intriguing names for a couple of old people almost 40 years ago, but they made a lasting impression on a teenaged girl. You see, I sang in the choir at my church when I was in high school, just a filler voice, but nevertheless, I sat in the choir loft and from that spot I could see everyone in the audience. The sleepers, the bored, the wiggling children, the doodlers, the talkers…you get the picture.

Birdie and Chic always sat at the front of the auditorium. Although they never had children of their own, they were loved by many of them. There was nothing beautiful about the couple; he was bald with a big nose and she was as wrinkled as they come. In fact the story was told that a child looking up into Chic’s face said, “Why is your face cracked all over?” 

However the thing that I remember most about the couple was the expression on their faces. They exuded joy, excitement and anticipation. You could tell that they wanted to be in church and were eager to hear the message. Their love for the Lord was displayed visibly to me as a young girl and it was something I wanted to emulate. At the time I didn’t realize that the radiance was not something that they did, but that it was the light of God shining through them because they had spent time with Him.

The old couple died many years ago and would not be remembered by many people any more, but they are forever etched in my memory and I can’t wait to get to heaven to let them know what a difference they made in my life.

Who has made a difference in your life?

Exodus 34:29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the Testimony in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!