Peter Pan Syndrome



Does anyone remember the Peter Pan song where he sings, “I won’t grow up…I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up, No sir, Not I, Not me, So there!”

Those were my thoughts as I biked the 14 mile trail through the Glenwood Canyon. With beauty surrounding me, friends beside me and the sun shining on me I felt like a kid. And I didn’t want to grow up or grow old.

For some of you that might seem comical because you already think of me as being old…after all the number associated with my age is well past the half-century mark, I have multiple grandchildren and am closer to retirement than I care to think, but I feel young at heart.

When I think of my grandparents, I remember them as old--they looked old and acted old. Why is that?

It’s not the number associated with my age or the fear of getting old, it’s that I don’t want to give up enjoying life, trying new things and serving God.

The Bible promises us that we can be productive into the twilight years. Moses was 80 when he led the nation of Israel out of bondage into the Promised Land. Abraham started his family at the age of 100. Caleb asked for the high country when he was 80. John was in his nineties when he wrote the book of Revelation. There are many more examples, but I think you get the picture.

The Psalmist compares Christians to a tree that is planted in God’s house that flourishes. It also says that we can bear fruit in our old age and still be fresh and green (Psalm 92:12-15). To me that sounds a bit like the Peter Pan syndrome; we don’t have to grow old, but can remain vibrant and serving God all throughout our lifetime. Will you join me on that journey? 

Isaiah 46:4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
 

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!