Old But Not Sitting in a Rocking Chair

My mother is one of the servants in God’s kingdom that uses her gifts that often times go unnoticed. She loves people and has a way of making them feel special. At 85 years of age, she still works at the food pantry, sacking groceries for the needy in Jackson, MS. She has worked with a prison ministry as a mentor for women who have been incarcerated, but have been released to a halfway house. She has assisted them with finding jobs, buying clothes and even taught them about meal planning and cooking. 

Mother’s ongoing job for her church is to visit the shut-ins. At one time they were all much older than she was, but now many of them are her peers. Mother will load up her arms with devotional books and special holiday treats to disperse to the ladies and sometimes men in assisted living or nursing homes.

Recently while Mother was visiting an old college friend, the mother of a childhood friend of mine who has Alzheimer’s walked over to insist that mother call her daughter to come and pick her up.

The three of them spent time laughing and enjoying the afternoon of fellowship. Since my mother is a real entertainer, I’m sure she kept the group highly amused with her stories, jokes and news from the community. When she got up to leave, one of the ladies asked if she would come back and take them out for a hamburger with onions--something most people take for granted. 

As Mother was exiting the facility a woman that she didn’t know caught up to her and said, “I wish you were my friend.” It pierced my mother’s heart and she too wished that she had a reason to visit this lady. 

At her age, you would think my mother would be slowing down, but she knows that there is still work to be done for the Lord. Thank you Mother for teaching me never to give up on living and serving, no matter what your age.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Caleb said to Joshua when the land was being divided in Joshua 14:10-12 “So here I am today, eighty-five years old!  I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I’m just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day,”

I too want to live my life to the fullest even into old age, completing the work that God has for me.

Comments

charlene said…
Thanks for this, Olga! I loved seeing Sadie on my visit to Jackson. She IS amazing!! It made me miss my Mother...but talking to her was like being with Mother. I'm so thankful that one day we will all be together for eternity:)
Love you,
Charlene
Mother loved seeing you too. We need to catch up!
Margaret said…
Oh, how I loved reading this, Mom! I'm so thankful for Gammy and for how she taught you to be a wonderful mother and servant too. You are such a Godly woman and have richly blessed my life. Only a few more days...
I love you!
Thank you--I can't wait to see you too! Love you.
Unknown said…
God certainly used your mom to direct me to this nursing facility. And I have grown to have "friends" there too.

The oldest woman there is one of the alert ones, and after being around her for just a little while you know she is different. I found her one morning in the hall holding her Bible. I commented on it and she told me it was "life." Last week when Melissa and the boys were there, I prompted her with familiar Bible verses, and she completed them. Melissa was amazed at her memory, and I told her the Word was not in her brain, but in her heart. And that is how I want to be.

And then there is the lady that says "go away. I hope you die of a hemorage."

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!