Size 14 Pants


Today a thoughtful co-worker called me to let me know that she had been gifted a very nice size 14 pair of slacks. She said that they did not fit her and she wondered if I would like to have them. I politely declined saying that they would not fit. She announced that she was too big for them too! 

Well, my first thought was to retort back with, “No…they would not be too small, but several (and I do mean several) sizes too big!” But I refrained and then had to take a deep breath and realize that my co-worker was not trying to ruin my day by sizing me up, but was being considerate in her offer even if I did feel a bit stunned at first. 

After additional deliberation regarding the conversation, I realized that my friend had really paid me a compliment. She could associate so easily with me that she thought we were a lot alike in our needs, our taste and our size. I began to feel better after I had reframed my thoughts.

Often times we see ourselves in one way, but our view doesn’t always match up with the way that other people see us. It doesn’t make one analysis or the other correct. However, there is one view of who we are that is always correct—it’s God’s view. 

God knows us better than we know ourselves... He knows our thoughts before they come out of our mouth… He knows our hearts… He knows our motives…and He knows our actions—those done publicly and those done when we are all alone. He doesn’t care what size we wear, but He does care about us. He loves us regardless of what others think about us or even what we think about ourselves. Reflect on that thought and it might just change how you feel about yourself!

O LORD, you have searched me
   and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
   you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
   you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
   you know it completely, O LORD.
Psalm 139:1-4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!