Duck and Cover



While on the plane going to Israel a lady who was clearly an Israeli was sitting next to me. She had boarded the plane fully prepared for the long flight by  immediately putting on her bedroom slippers and mask in anticipation of the overnight journey. However when dinner was served I couldn't resist starting up a conversation.

The lady was returning home from visiting her son in the US and was happy to share information about her trip and her country. She informed me that I should be sure to eat the white cheese and to drink tea with nana, which I later found out was mint. She wanted to be sure I would be going to the Holocaust Memorial and float in the Dead Sea.

As the conversation was winding down I asked her what the most important thing to know regarding safety. Now I must say I was not expecting the answer I got. She told me that if I saw a bomb coming toward me to run to the closest building and duck and cover.

I had been thinking more about pickpockets than bombs, but when we visited the Golan Heights I saw the reality of her answer. From the point high upon the mountain we could look out and see Syria in the distance. It would have been the area that Paul would have been walking when he had the encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus just 30 or 40 miles away. 

Today it is the site of contention. Israeli troops watch the area along side of the United Nations troops to be sure no attacks take place along the volatile border. Eighteen year old kids carrying Uzis to protect their country is a reality that youth in our country cannot understand.

The threat from other countries to Israel is not the only concern. Internally you have Muslims  and Palestinians living in close proximity to their Jewish neighbors so conflict is inevitable.

In Psalm 122 we are commanded to pray for peace in Jerusalem. After visiting I now understand why. True peace will come to Jerusalem only when Jesus returns.

I didn't have to duck and cover from a physical bomb attack while in Israel, but I was shaken, not from fear or from threat, but moved to align myself and my prayers with God's chosen people. I hope you will too.

Psalm 122:6-7 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem:
“May they prosper who love you.
May peace be within your walls,
And prosperity within your palaces.”

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!