Grandmother's Gethsemane



Mother recently reminded me of the incident that happened when I was an adolescent. Even though I didn’t recall it happening, it is profound even for today.

My grandmother had just been diagnosed with breast cancer at a time when there was not much that they could do other than a total mastectomy and radiation. Often times it was like a death sentence. Surrounded by loved ones she was asked a poignant question by my mother - was she upset.

The answer that followed tells a lot about the woman, her faith and her relationship with her Lord. “I will be fine after I go to Gethsemane,” she responded. It might seem an odd response, but what she meant was that she needed to get alone with her Father and pray about her dire situation. And once she had told Him her desires she could then repeat the words that Jesus had spoken, “If you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.”

Grandmother had a difficult situation to face, but we all have some type of Gethsemane moment that we encounter. It might be in a marriage, in a relationship, in an illness or a financial situation. It might be with a child, in a job, in your past or something entirely unique to you. It’s what we do with our difficulty that is important. 

Have you spent time in prayer about it? Have you put your complete trust in your Heavenly Father regarding it? Have you accepted that He knows what’s best for your future?

After Jesus’ earnest prayer, He knew that He could face anything because God would be with Him through it all, so He was able to say, “Rise, let us go.”

I’m not sure what Grandmother said after her time spent with the Lord, but I do know that she lived out her life in front of others as an example of total trust. She touched many lives and her death ended with God being glorified.  We can do the same through our Gethsemane. Will you follow in the footsteps of Jesus and my precious grandmother?

Psalm 13:5 I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.
www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!