Preacher's Kids



Working in the church nursery can be a pretty mindless way of serving in the children's ministry at church. Now don't get me wrong, I serve in many other ways that require preparation and time, so just to be able to show up and love on babies is a perfect job for me once a month.

I had the young pastor's children - one 23 month old and the other just a baby.  Since the baby just slept I had quality time with little Lane. He was quite chatty using one word "sentences". Yellow, fish, hat, ball were some of his favorites. So when his mother came to pick him up, I informed her of his impressive vocabulary. Her reply was surprising in a way. She said, "Yes we really have to be careful what we say around him."

In my mind I was wondering what the pastor would be saying in front of him that was not appropriate. You can probably imagine where my mind was going, however I was relieved when she gave the example. Her husband loves football and she said that when Nick is watching a game he will sometimes shout out, "Oh no!" and that little Lane will copy his dad. He repeated the phrase after his mother, so I knew she was being truthful.

Little ears are listening all around, all the time. And even though I don't think there was anything wrong with the phrase "oh no" there are many things that come out of our mouths that children shouldn't have to hear. I'm not just referring to the "four letter words." 

But what about the words of gossip? Or the words of anger? Or the words of revenge? Or the words of untruth? Or the words of unkindness? The list could go on and on, but I think we all get the picture. Not only are those words not appropriate for little ears, but for any ears.

Lord put a guard over my mouth so that I won't be afraid of what others repeat that I say. Forgive me for the times that I use my words in a careless manner. Help me to stop and think before I let unkind words slip from my lips.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to You, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!