What Do Your Words Say About You?


I’m weird; I’ll admit it. I’m one of the crazies that loves to go to the grocery store around holidays. I prefer to have most of my shopping done ahead of time, but will go in the day before a holiday just to see the people scurrying around, feel the excitement in the air and  pick up the last few items needed. 

I was shopping on Saturday for Thanksgiving when halfway across the store, I heard a lady that I had met a couple of times ranting and raving about her experience to other shoppers. The parking lot had been too full. The aisles were too crowded. The experience was taking way too long. 

I hadn’t planned on speaking to her, but our paths crossed, so I just started with a bit of small talk to be cordial. But again she began complaining and ended by saying, “I hate this grocery store.”

Well, she was in the mood for the Thanksgiving holiday, wasn’t she? Not one pleasant word, only complaining. As I walked away, I knew one thing - I was thankful that I didn’t have to spend the holiday with her. 

Didn’t she realize that there were many people who wished they had money to spend at the store? Had she stopped to think about how fortunate she is to have a store filled with delicious, nutritious items? Did she appreciate the hard work that it took to produce the fruits, vegetables, meats etc that we take for granted?

This lady may not have had a thankful spirit, but she made me take a look at mine. As I walked through the store, I began thanking God for the wonderful store that is less than 10 minutes from my home. I was thankful that they had every item that I was looking for. I was grateful that they were fully staffed with people to help me find hard to locate items. I was appreciative that every checkout lane was open with cheerful checkers and baggers. I was thankful that I could afford to pay for the items for my Thanksgiving meal. I was grateful that people want to come to my house to celebrate. But most of all I was thankful that God had given me the encounter with the grumpy lady, so that I could realize how much I have to be thankful for each and every day.

Lord help me to be thankful for what I do have, instead of complaining about the little distractions that come my way.

1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Christy said…
what a timely verse! Thankful to have you as my sweet sister in Christ!

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!