Blessed Beyond Measure



“Blessed Beyond Measure” is the phrase I have used to express the goodness that God had shown toward me. God has blessed me so abundantly in my life that I cannot adequately express with words how thankful I am.

I have been so many places that most people only dream of going. I have met the most interesting people including the rich and famous to the lonely and ordinary. I have friends that accept me just as I am - warts and all. I live and work in a most beautiful place with wonderful people. I have a great family who loves me and is supportive of me. I have more possessions than I need. And most importantly I have been adopted into the family of the God of the Universe.

That list of blessings seems like God has only given me goods things. But are blessings only the good things in our life? We are quick to say, “May God bless you” to our friends and family; politicians like to say, “May God bless America.” By saying that phrase we often really mean for God to give us health, wealth and prosperity.

However one of my favorite Christian writers, Warren Weirsbe defines a blessing as “any act of God that brings Him glory by accomplishing His will and helping His people grow and do His will.” Did you notice the word any? That makes it sound like it doesn’t have to be just something that we view as being good, but also the things that we also view as undesirable.

So does that mean a car accident, a loss of job, a death, a financial disaster and all of the other seemingly negative events in our lives can be viewed as a blessing? I believe so. I am thankful for the good things in my life, but I am equally as grateful for the hard things in my life, because it is in those times that I have to reach out and grab onto my Heavenly Father, trusting Him and His plan for my life. It is during those times that my faith has grown most in my life. It is also when I have been strengthened and encouraged by the Lord in a variety of ways. 

If I had never experienced the tough times in my life, I would probably be a spoiled brat—someone who was self absorbed and cared only about me, myself and I. I would be someone that I wouldn’t like and neither would you.

So thank you Lord that You have given me good gifts, but You have also allowed struggles to make me into the person I have become and will become.

Psalm 9:1 I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!