A Pain in the Neck



A pain in the neck...that's what I've had for the past couple of months. And I don't mean a person or a situation but a literal pain in my neck. I'm not exactly sure how I got it. It could have been when I fell off my bike in the summer or maybe the way I sleep or even too much time at the computer. Whatever it was it has caused me pain when I turn my neck a certain way.

A friend recommended a chiropractor, but I was not really sure about it, so I waited for a few more weeks until I simply had to do something to relieve the pain. The dull nagging pain had to stop.

After filling in the necessary paperwork, I was told by the receptionist to enjoy the treatment. She said, "You will love it." Then I was guided to a dimly lit room with spa like music being played. Only problem was that I don't particularly care for spa treatments.

The doctor entered and began quizzing me about the pain, previous history, etc before deciding on a treatment plan for the session. He brought up acupuncture, muscle retraining, heat, but assured me that I would determine what  the treatment would be.

He had me lay on the table and looked and felt my neck and spine. Then I felt a needle; I guess he had forgotten his promise that it would be my decision, because he quickly asked if it was all right to do the procedure. At that point I thought since he had already started, he may as well continue. Next he asked if he could use a muscle stimulator machine to change the current habits of my muscles. Yes was the answer to that also. Then came the heating pad and the relaxation. 

Midway through the treatment the chiropractor picked up one of my hands and quickly cracked it. A few minutes later he did the same thing to the other one. What was that about? It didn't hurt, but sure took me by surprise.

But that's not all he cracked; my neck was next, including both sides. I found it a bit humorous when he exclaimed, "That was easier than I thought!"

Finally he cracked my back and sent me home.

As I departed I was chuckling to myself. Here I had entered a room with a man I had never met, and allowed him to stick needles in my neck, put shock waves through my body and crack me all over.

Why did I find it so easy to trust someone I didn't know to help my body get better? After all, if he had wanted to, he probably could have done irreparable harm to me.

Why do we sometimes find it easier to trust a stranger, but fail to trust Almighty God who created us and loves us? God wants the best for us and has a beautiful plan that He desires to carry out, but instead of trusting Him we want to do things our own way.

My prayer is that I will trust God completely even if it doesn't always make sense. What about you?

Jeremiah 17:7-8
“But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord,
    whose confidence is in him.
They will be like a tree planted by the water
    that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
    its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
    and never fails to bear fruit.”

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!