Mystery Fruit




The paper plated filled with beautiful, luscious fruit was strategically placed on a fence by the river along the bike path. As I walked past it I was tempted to grab a piece before my long walk home, but I refrained.

As I walked, I wondered. Where had it come from? Why was it there? It looked lovely, but I was sure it had purpose.

Was someone going to paint a still life of it? I didn't think so, because the tags were still on the fruit.

Was it an experiment to see what reaction people would have when they saw it? Possibly, because I had seen a couple watching as I passed it by.

Was it left as a gift for hungry people along the path? Perhaps, since it is a well traveled route.
 
I'll probably never know why the mystery fruit was there or who had put it there or the reason for it.

As God's children we are called to place fruit along the road that we travel. We might leave some for a co-worker who is having a bad day by an encouraging word. We might leave some for a neighbor by offering to care for her children for an afternoon. Or your own child might receive the fruit when they read the "I love you" note place in their lunchbox.

Yes our fruit may not be a banana, an apple, a pear or even a kiwi like the filled paper plate along the path, but in other acts of kindness or the thoughtful words that are an overflow of having spent time with Jesus.

Are you leaving an abundance of fruit along the way? Is your fruit juicy and flavorful or hard and dried?

Jesus tells us that the only way we can produce fruit is to remain in Him, so are you willing to spend time with Him so that you can have a bountiful harvest? Don't let your fruit be a mystery to others, but make it evident to all that it is God's fruit.

John 15:4-5 "Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."


www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!