Accolade or Insult



A co-worker arrived at my desk with an announcement. He had been at a party and my name had come up probably because even though we work in different departments,  we are in the same building--he in the maintenance department and I in the sales and marketing arena

He proceeded to tell me that as he and the party goers were talking the husband chimed in with the question, “Is she the ‘godly’ one?” My first thought was—wrong, but then I got a little prideful thinking that someone would associate me with that word. My thoughts were quickly dashed as my co-worker proceeded to inform me that it had not been meant as an accolade but as an insult. 

I don’t know if I had ever met the husband, if he had only heard of me through his wife or something else, but I had been labeled, even judged by someone and had no way of “defending” myself, my reputation or my Savior. But I don’t really have to defend myself because I hope that what he said is somewhat true, whether he thinks he is belittling me or not; I want to reflect the glory of God to the world.

Now I know that on my own there is nothing godly about me—I am a sinner and there is nothing good in me except that through the blood of Jesus Christ, I am seen as righteous in the eyes of God the Father. 

When we accept Jesus and represent Him to the world the Bible says that our faith and belief will be a stumbling block to some (1 Corinthians 1:23). It also says that if we are living for Christ we will be criticized by some, therefore suffering for telling others about Him (2 Timothy 1:11-12). These two things confirm that I am doing the right thing and I will continue teaching others about my Savior, I will continue trying to live a life that is pleasing to God and I will continue holding my head up high even when someone is critical of my faith.  

Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:10

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!