Lynn's Story

Lynn with 2 of her rescuers, Ryan and Sue

Over the last few years I have posted this on or around Valentines Day. It is the ninth anniversary of Lynn's life changing  cardiac arrest. So here goes once again:

Valentines Day over the years has had different meanings. In elementary school it was how many Valentine cards you received from your classmates. In high school it was did you have a date for the special evening. As a young married it was where you go for a romantic dinner. However on Valentines Day six years ago it took on an entirely different meaning for my family.

Let me give you a little bit of history.

In 2007 life was good. My 27 year old daughter, Lynn had just gotten married, returned from her honeymoon and started a new job. My oldest daughter was pregnant with her second baby and everyone was happy, healthy and employed.

While having lunch with a colleague on February 14th I was surprised to see my husband dashing into the restaurant when he was supposed to be having lunch with my son-in-law, Matt. He hastily told me that he had received a phone call from Matt that Lynn had a seizure at work and was being taken to the Vail Valley Medical Center.

As a mother my heart sank as I jumped up, wondering if this was a day I had been dreading for years. You see Lynn had heart problems as a baby and although her doctors had given her a clean bill of health I always wondered if everything was really okay.

When my husband and I arrived at the hospital we were informed that it was not a seizure, but that she and suffered cardiac arrest. Bystanders had performed CPR, the fire department and paramedics had worked on her using an AED before delivering her to the medical center. The outlook was bleak with only a 15% survival rate. After hearing the news, I realized that I needed to rally the prayer warriors. Phone calls were made to my mother, my other daughter, my Bible study group, two churches and my friend Gloria who is one praying woman that I knew would contact others to be a part of the process. She not only contacted the others at her church, but she called KLOVE. There were now people praying all across the country and the world.

Lynn was taken to a hospital in Denver and again they explained the dire situation. In fact they told us they had detected a blood clot in Lynn's leg that would require amputation...if she lived. My 27 year old vibrant, healthy, athletic daughter was held between life and death. So we prayed more, even laying hands on her leg and asking for God's divine healing.

Lynn not only survived, but her leg was also spared. Today she is living a full and productive life giving God the glory for the miracle of healing in her life. She is also trying to make a difference in the lives of others. She has a nonprofit, Starting Hearts to teach others CPR in hopes of saving other lives.

To God be the glory great things He has done!

So, Happy Valentines Day or as we now call it in my family, Happy Heart Day.



Comments

WendyFischerMallas said…
Lynn, you are a living miracle - I attribute it to your amazing upbringing ... what an amazing Mom you have ... so sure of things ... the two of you are blessed to have one another!
Thank you Wendy. We love you!
Sue Froeschle said…
This is the first time I've seen this. I just remember when our Executive Dir. and Lynn's boss went to the VVMC and met you, Tom and Matt in the emergency room. Lynn's supervisor, who was also a Mom, said Lynn's Mom really understands the magnitude of the situation. As I said to Lynn, February 14, 2007 is as vivid in my mine as Kennedy's assassination and 911!

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!