Lost But Unaware


Compass
While on duty at my post for Snowball Music Festival, I came to the realization that most of the kids in attendance were lost. As they passed my station, I overheard many questions such as:
  • Where am I?
  • What street is this?
  • Where are you? (to someone on the other end of the phone)
  • Where is Agave?
  • Where is the Westin?
  • Where is the bus stop?
But perhaps the most unusual request was when a young person actually came up to me and asked me where his car was located. Hmmmm…. How was I supposed to help them when they couldn’t even tell me any landmark they had passed along the way? 

It’s a wonder that any of them made it home safely that night. As I stood on that dark cold street corner I prayed for those kids because not only where they physically lost in the small little town of Avon, Colorado, but probably the majority of them were lost spiritually as well.  

While they treated me with respect and kindness when walking past as they would walk away the language would deteriorate into four letter words and raunchy topics. A few young men gave the mother in me reason to be concerned. One had been stopped by his friends to see if he was all right. They surmised that he was okay and allowed him to proceed unaccompanied, but I wasn’t so sure, so I questioned the friends and they assured me to he could go it alone. They other was also unaccompanied and was weaving so profusely along the sidewalk from alcohol, drugs, weed or who knows what that I feared he would end up in the street run over by an oncoming car. I stopped him to see if he would at least sit for a while, but no success. These men were lost.

My final encounter of the evening was heartbreaking. The concert was over, the crowds were gone, the last of the stragglers had been picked up, but there was one young man lingering around my corner. His pants were hanging around his knees, so I commented that it looked like he was losing something and that was the beginning of our conversation. He complained that his pants wouldn’t stay up because of the slick ski pants underneath and the rope belt on his jeans would not stay tied. We chatted about skiing and boarding, terrain parks, music and a few other topics of small talk and then he confessed that he wished the concert had not ended so early because he had no place to go or anyone to meet. As we parted for the evening, he asked if I would hug him and I wondered if he had anyone who really cared where he was or what he was doing to request a hug from a total stranger. He too was lost.

I know that God cares for those lost souls and I hope that He will answer my prayers for them: that He will protect them, that He will draw them to Himself and that their lives will be changed by His saving grace.

I will probably never see these young adults again in this lifetime, but I hope to see them in heaven someday and hear their stories of transformation by a loving God.

Luke 19:10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.

Comments

Greg Brooks said…
You are a good hugger, he needed that
Greg Brooks said…
You are a good hugger, he needed that
You're a pretty good hugger too, Bubba! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!