Statement Necklace


Living in my small little cocoon of a village, I sometimes don’t know what is going on in the world of fashion. I have to depend on my friends, family and visitors to the area to keep me informed along with the girls on 9 News. I had been noticing that the adorable young newscasters in the mornings were wearing cute, but really large necklaces, so I determined that they must be in style. Due to my observation, on a recent trip to Houston I told my daughter Margaret that I wanted a new big necklace. She asked me if I was talking about a “statement necklace” and I assumed it was. 

The hunt was on for one of the popular pieces of costume jewelry until the perfect one was found, but I was haunted by the term statement necklace, so I began my quest to find out more about what it meant. I found the definition to be: a necklace that is worn to convey a message. It may tell something about the wearer, such as an attitude, a lifestyle or an image. Most of them are bulky, unusual and are intended to draw attention to the person wearing it. 

Is that what I really want to convey to others? I like my new necklace and will continue to wear it along with other bold ones that I have, however I want to be careful about the statements that I make to the world. Rather than thinking that I know what is in fashion, I want people to know that my first love is Jesus. That He is my Lord and Savior. And that I am trying to listen to His voice and follow the plans He has for me. 

Because of that I will continue to wear my cross most often. It has proven to be a statement necklace in its own way. People notice and comment on it, opening up fun and unusual conversations that I pray bring glory and honor to God’s holy name. That’s the statement I want to make loud and clear for the world to hear, know and experience.

Exodus 9:16 But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!