Game Night--The Worst in Me



It was game night with the young girls’ small group, but I almost ruined the whole thing. There was good food to get the party started. The opening discussion revolved around the upcoming mission trip to Angola that three of the girls will be participating in. And then it started...the game playing. We decided on Apples to Apples since it didn't take too much explanation or even skills.

One of the young women was winning and we were trying to prevent her from getting any more cards.

In my opinion the girls were all being way too nice to each other so I thought I needed to stir things up a bit, but I was wrong.

The card drawn was: Hard and Fast. Each of the girls placed their cards face down. As I turned each one over, I started commenting on their selections. First was Planting a Tree. I announced harshly that it was lame. The girl who had thrown the card got her feelings hurt and began explaining that planting a tree can be a very difficult task, but with skill it can be done quickly. I was immediately sorry that I had made the comment.

But apparently I didn't learn my lesson very well, because as I flipped the next card and Billy Graham was revealed, I commented that he was too obvious. That participant didn't like my assessment any more than the first one. She responded by calling me a jerk. Neither of our behaviors was very Christ-like.

Since those two players had confessed which card were theirs by their responses to my commentary which was part of my strategy, I was getting closer to eliminating the card of the current leader.

Old Faithful and the South Pole were also offered as winning responses for being hard and fast, both were very good answers and too difficult for me to choose between. So I went with the only other choice Credit Card Bills and guess what? In trying to outsmart the one who was winning the game, I actually picked her card, but made her mad too since I didn't want her to win.

By the time my turn was over I had successfully upset every one of the girls.

In trying to bring out a little bit of competition and humor, I did nothing but offend these precious girls. I left feeling terrible and realized the reason was that I had been divisive instead of a positive influence.

Forgive me for my behavior Lord and help me instead to be a promoter of peace and harmony instead of division.

Romans 14:19 19 Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!