Are You Deceiving Yourself?



Six year old Molly was flipping through the pages of a photo album. She reminded me of her mother as she carefully examined each person in every picture. For me it was like walking down memory lane seeing the photos from years gone by. When she came to a picture of me when I lived in Fort Worth she exclaimed, "You don't look anything like this picture!"

Now I happened to think it was a pretty good picture so I probed a bit to see why it didn't look like me.

Molly stated matter of factly three reasons:

First my hair was much shorter (maybe 1 inch difference).

Second I don't wear earrings now. 

And third I didn't have wrinkles in the picture.

Have I really changed that much in 15 years? I might not like to admit it, but Molly is probably right.

Isn't it funny that Molly saw me as looking entirely different, but I thought I looked just about the same. It just goes to show that we might view ourselves one way, while others may see a different side of us. Apparently from my assessment of myself it’s pretty easy to deceive ourselves into thinking we are something we are not. It's not just in our physical looks but also in our actions, so perhaps it would be a good idea to examine ourselves periodically to see if our image is what others see and make necessary changes if needed.


2 Corinthians 13:5-6 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!