Sticks and Stones...


Whoever coined the phrase “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words may never hurt me” didn’t have a clue what they were talking about. It was probably some well meaning mom whose child was being bullied and she was trying to make them feel better.

However those of us who have had hurtful words hurled at us know that the pain from them can last for days, months, years and yes even a lifetime unless they are deleted, erased or covered over by different words.

Sometimes it can be a simple harmless statement that we receive, such as a parent or spouse who says you did something stupid when you may have made a poor choice. That person also made a poor choice since most people think if they “did” something stupid then they must “be” stupid. The thought gets stuck in our brain and is played over and over when we feel we have made a mistake.

Other times people purposefully try to hurt someone with cutting words. Neither is good and neither is right.

As important as human words can be to the way we think and feel about ourselves, God’s words are more important. His words are true and they are never meant to harm, but to help us see clearly who we are in the eyes of the Creator of the universe.  

Man might use words like lazy, stupid and good for nothing, but God uses words like perfect, friend, adopted, beloved, chosen, accepted, and complete. Which list do you like best? Which one will you choose to believe?

If you would like to see more of what God says about you, keep reading and be encouraged:

God loves me and has chosen me.
1 Thessalonians 1:4
For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you
I am a child of God.
John 1:12
Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God
I have been set free in Christ.
Galatians 5:1
It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
I have been accepted by Christ.
Romans 15:7
Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.
I am a friend of Jesus.
John 15:15
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.
I have boldness and confident access to God through faith in Christ.
Ephesians 3:12
In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.
I am chosen, holy, and blameless before God.
Ephesians 1:4
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight.
I am a new creature in Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
I will not be condemned by God, I have been set free from the law of sin and death.
Romans 8:1-2
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.
I have been made complete in Christ.
Colossians 2:9-10
For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority.
I was formerly darkness, but now I am light in the Lord.
Ephesians 5:8
For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.
I have been predestined by God to obtain an inheritance. Ephesians 1:9-11 And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment—to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ. In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will
My body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who dwells in me.
1 Corinthians 3:16
Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?; 1 Corinthians 6:19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own
I am no longer a slave but a child and heir.
Galatians 4:7
So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.
The peace of God guards my heart and mind.
Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
I am God's workmanship created to do His good works.
Ephesians 2:10
For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
I have been sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise.
Ephesians 1:13
And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit.
I have been justified and redeemed.
Romans 3:23-24
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus; Romans 6:6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin
I am a branch of the true vine, and a representative of Christ's life.
John 15:1-5
I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
I have become the righteousness of God in Christ.
2 Corinthians 5:21
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
I have been chosen of God, and I am holy and dearly loved.
Colossians 3:12
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
I am a citizen of heaven.
Philippians 3:20
But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ
I have been brought near to God by the blood of Christ.
Ephesians 2:13
But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.
As a child of God, I am a fellow heir with Christ.
Romans 8:17
Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
In Christ Jesus, I have wisdom, righteousness, holiness, and redemption.
1 Corinthians 1:30
It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption.
I have been blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
Ephesians 1:3
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
I am redeemed and forgiven by the grace of Christ.
Ephesians 1:7
In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace
Because of God's mercy and love, I have been made alive with Christ.
Ephesians 2:4-5
But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.
I have been called to be a saint
1 Corinthians 1:2
To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours; Colossians 1:12 Giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.
I am a member of Christ's body and a partaker of His promise.
Ephesians 3:6
This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus; Ephesians 5:30 For we are members of his body.
I am joined to the Lord and am one spirit with him.
1 Corinthians 6:17
But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit.
Christ is my life, and I will be revealed with him in glory.
Colossians 3:4
When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
God leads me in the triumph and knowledge of Christ to spread His fragrance to the world.
2 Corinthians 2:14
But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.
I have been raised up with Christ.
Colossians 3:1
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.
The hardening of my mind has been removed in Christ.
2 Corinthians 3:14
But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.
I have been made one with all who are in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
I am seated in the heavenly places with Christ.
Ephesians 2:6
And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus.
Chosen out of darkness to be royal, holy and belonging to God.
1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
God supplies all my needs.
Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
My life is hidden with Christ in God.
Colossians 3:3
For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.
My new self is righteous and holy.
Ephesians 4:22-24
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
 
www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!