Guilty


Guilty…I’ll admit it. I was guilty as charged. When the police officer pulled me over I had been speeding. Although at the time I was not fully aware that I was going too fast, because I actually never realized that the speed limit dropped from 45 to 25 mph when you rounded the corner on the frontage road. There is no telling how many times I should have been stopped over the years, but was not. I guess it was just my “unlucky day” that a police officer just happened to be sitting at the very spot where the lower speed was required.

The first thing the female official said to me is, “Are you on the way to the hospital? Or what’s your emergency?” I wished that I could have begged or pleaded my way out of the ticket, but when she announced that I had been going almost double the speed limit with my 47 mph speed, I knew there was no need in even trying. So I apologized, letting her know that I was sorry for hurrying to my next appointment. Being sorry made her soften a bit, but didn’t take away my guilt.

The penalty has to be paid…a fine and points on my license. Ouch! 

The penalty for all of our sins has to be paid. It’s not as simple as an apology or a fine or points on a scale. It is much more serious. When we sin it is always against God Himself. There is no way that we can pay Him off or express regret enough or do anything to make restitution to Him, because we are sinful and always will be, except for one thing. He wants us to be restored and since we can’t do it through our own means, He has provided a way. God sent His Son Jesus to earth to live a holy, sinless life, because He was the only one who was capable of it.  Once His perfect life was completed, Jesus was crucified, bearing my sins on the cross, so that I could be made right with the Father. 

Jesus paid the penalty for me. He suffered the consequences for my sin. All I had to do was believe in Him and accept what He had done for me. 

I am guilty of both the speeding incident and of being a sinner. Now I am much more careful when driving to be sure I am driving the proper speed. And since Jesus has paid for my sins, I try not to live in the sin that sent Him to the cross.

James 2:10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles as just one point is guilty of breaking it all.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!