Cake Disaster



Broken

My cake was a disaster? How is it that the one I was served last weekend was perfect and mine could be such a disaster?

The Funeral Cake recipe was followed to a T…measuring, mixing baking. It rose correctly even with the altitude, however a problem was revealed when it was time to turn it out of the pan. I noticed that it had not pulled away from the side of the Bundt pan so I gave it a few minutes to cool. When I turned it over, nothing… I thought running a knife around the edges might help, but no… The next solution was to go deeper, using a spoon to loosen as far as I could get, but not a budge… Drastic measures were called for so I threw the cake pan against the counter top and it happened—the bottom half of the cake came out, leaving the top stuck in place. Now what was I to do?

The trusty spoon came out again, this time to scoop out the remaining portion of the cake. One spoonful at a time the cake was pieced back together. It was not pretty. In fact it was downright ugly. It was too late to go to the store to begin again. Out came the glue—actually it was a glaze, made from powdered sugar, milk and vanilla, but I figured that it would at least hold the broken pieces together.

It was not my finest creation, but it would have to do.

We are a lot like my cake, broken and pieced together, but God can take the brokenness and piece us all back together. We might not look very pretty, but we can be used by God as a sweet tasting treat.

Recipe for Funeral Cake (If you dare to try it)

1 box of Duncan Hines Butter Cake Mix (or any flavor you desire)

6 eggs

1 c sugar

1 c sour cream

1 c Wesson Oil

Beat eggs. Add rest of ingredients to mixer. Pour into Bundt pan sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.

My glaze was powdered sugar, milk and vanilla to taste. I also added caramelized pecans sprinkled on the tops of glaze.

Psalm 34:18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!