Share the Trail



The sign says, “Please share the trail.” So I wonder if it’s just that people can’t read or is it that they just don’t care.

Today was one of the last few days that I will have to bike to work, so I hopped on it ready to enjoy the deep blue sky, sunshine and cold breeze. Just a short distance from my home I noticed a lady and her dog up ahead. The dog looked well behaved chasing the ball even though it was not on the required leash. Just steps in front of me, the dog tossed his ball onto the trail right in my path. Darting into my lane, his owner ran over to grab him as I slowed to avoid an accident and she yelled an apology while hastening home. Catching her out of the corner of my eye, I realized that it was a former co-worker, so I shouted over my shoulder, “No problem.”
 
This afternoon, it was gloomy and gray and I wondered if I would make it home before the late afternoon shower rolled in. I was racing to beat the storm when up ahead I spotted trouble—a man, a stroller and 2 young children blocking the entire path. When I was about 20 yards away, he saw me and acted as if he was going to gather his children and move out of the way, but the closer I got, the less concerned he seemed by the fact that the toddler who could barely walk had halted directly in front of me, causing me to have to stop completely. All I could do was glare at the father wondering how he could be so irresponsible. Hadn’t he read the sign to share the trail?

Almost immediately after passing the family, a snake, just inches away jerked back from the path of my tire. My first thought was, “Satan just got the best of me.” Although the snake wasn’t really Satan, it was a reminder that he is lurking around and wants us to fail.

Why had I allowed a simple distraction on my ride home to upset me? Why had I forgiven my friend that morning for a similar incident, but was unable to give a little bit of grace to a father caring for his children?

The only explanation I have is that as a human I am selfish and want to have my own way. All I can do is pray and ask God to forgive me and to help me to demonstrate His grace and mercy to everyone I meet, not just to the ones I know. In doing so, maybe I will learn to “share the trail” and not just expect everyone else to do it for me.

2 John 1:3 Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, will be with us in truth and love.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!