Water Cooler Police Stories



The water cooler talk in the office today seemed to revolve around the police probably because a co-worker had to appear in court for not having the proper sticker on her license tag. She had to drive 35 miles round-trip for the summons to sit for a couple of hours waiting to get her fine for an offense that had already been resolved.

Everyone at work had a story of an encounter with the police in some way or other; a few shared their stories while others decided not to confess their misdeeds.

The one common thread was that for some reason when we come in contact with a police officer we become frightened that we are doing something wrong. Knuckles turn white on the steering wheel, palms become sweaty, and we try to “look” innocent (even if we really are).

Why do we have that fear and dread? Is it because of past experiences? Or could it be of tales that we have heard? Or was it that our parents taught us to fear the police by using them as the scapegoat when disciplining?

Whatever the reason, the majority of people are apprehensive when in the presence of "the law."

My question is why do we fear the police officers who are the enforcers of the law when we hardly give thought to the real “Law-giver and Judge—God the Father?” Why do we slam on the brakes when we spot the cop car that we know has a “dummy” in it, but we hardly give a thought to stop our sinning when the God of the universe is watching our every move?

Now I’m not trying to give anyone a complex or guilt trip, because I am in the same boat. I don’t always fear God as much as I do humans. Yet one day I will stand in the presence of God and have to answer for my every word, thought, and action. And even though I will enter heaven because I belong to Him, it will be a very uncomfortable position, even humiliating to realize that sinful me must give an account to holy God of my life. 

Lord help me to live my life in a way that is pleasing to You.

(By the way, just so you don’t think I am being disrespectful to our fine police officers in the Vail Valley, I want you to know that they place a fake dummy in a police car in the median of the highway to get people to slow down when going through the area.)


Revelation 20:11-15 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

 www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!