Scars



I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye as I entered Subway to grab a quick bite to eat. A tiny little child with his misshapen, shaved-bald head with a v- shaped scar going through the center of his scull.

I didn't want to look; it was too painful to see the little child who had apparently been through so much in his short life. It's not what God had intended. God didn't want this child to suffer. No, He wanted this child to be pain free, disease free, but this cruel fallen world had other plans for that little one.

I sat just wanting a little quiet time, but couldn't help but glance at the table in front of me where the child sat. The doting dad and chattering child led me to the conclusion that the child was much older than his small frame indicated.

And then it happened...the child turned all the way around in his chair to face me. How should I respond to the heart-breaking sight? And then I realized that the child was not bothered at all by what was so apparent to me. The dad was fearful of what reaction might take place, so I plastered a smile on my face and waved at the child and then the most incredible sight, a smile so big that it made the child's eyes twinkle as it flashed across his face. I was enthralled by the child; no longer did I feel sorry for the little guy, but I was overjoyed as the game of turning, smiling and hiding continued until his mother appeared.

I wanted to know what had happened to the boy but didn’t find out. It really didn’t matter, but what did was that the child had taught me a lesson.

Sometimes it is the scars in our life that make us most appreciative of what we have and allows us to show that God can create beauty out of something that seems so tragic.

Through your scars you can still have joy.

James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!