Halloween Insight



Prankster is not usually a word that describes my behavior, but the office has been a bit tense lately so I decided to dress up for Halloween and make people laugh. A black wig, jeans tucked into black boots trimmed with silver, a black leather vest, a black leather braided necklace with a large cross hanging from it, a black studded belt and to top it all off, tattooed arms completed my biker girl look. “Brandy” would be my name for the day.

My new look was met with frightened looks, four letter words, gasps and eventually laughter. I was not recognized by many people that I work with on a daily basis. Double takes were commonly received throughout the day. People informed me that they had seen me walking down the hallway and wondered who I was. 

However the thing that concerned me the most was when I arrived at the season pass office with several of the youngsters from my office and walked up to redeem my paperwork with an elderly gentleman  who scowled when he saw me coming. His frown continued as he questioned me about the pass information until I realized that I knew his co-worker and she commented on my “get-up.” Only then did a smile came over his face.

I caught a small glimpse of what discrimination is like. It reminded me of the media who dress up in fat suits or as an elderly person and are treated drastically different than when they are in their normal state. 

Sometimes people can’t help the way they look or dress; others look they way they do in order to get attention. That one reminds me of a young man in high school who always donned an oversized trench coat with a plastic rat draped across his shoulder. It scared most people, but I think he just wanted to be noticed and loved for who he was on the inside. 

Of course we all know that we shouldn’t judge someone by the way they look or the way they dress, but we still sometimes do it. How much better it would be if we all looked at people the way God does…at their heart without favoritism.  This is something I’m going to strive to do each day.

Romans 2:11 For God does not show favoritism.
1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!