Tough Mudder


Supposedly 25,000 people visited Beaver Creek, CO this weekend. It wasn’t for a food and wine festival, or for skiing, but for a torture event. Many of the people were there to participate in the Tough Mudder, which is a 10-12 mile obstacle course designed by British Special Forces to test endurance, stamina, strength and camaraderie. 

Cold water, mud, electric shocks, snow, ice and walls are just a few of the challenging elements that participants contend with during the competition.  The contest is so fierce that applicants are asked to take the following pledge:
  • I understand that Tough Mudder is not a race but a challenge.
  • I put teamwork and camaraderie before my course time.
  • I do not whine; kids whine.
  • I help my fellow mudders complete the course.
  • I overcome all fears.
In addition to the contestants, there are the observers-those people interested in watching other people go through pain and agony. I’m not sure which is worse the ones going through the anguish or those of us who are sick enough to want to see others in pain. Some were cheering friends or relatives on; others were just scouting out the event, considering if they wanted to participate in the future, while many were just lookers, fascinated by the happenings. There were newborns to the elderly with every age in between observing the event.

Several interesting statements were heard at the landing of Beaver Creek. “I’ll be finished in 2 hours or less.” I wondered if this person remembered that there were 23 obstacles along the way that would take extra time. “I’m going to run the whole way.” Did this person know that the first thing they would have to do is run straight up the mountain? Most people were walking after the first turn in the course. “I thought we took the chairlift up.” This was humorous because not only did they not get the take the chairlift up, they had to sprint up and down the mountain twice not including all of the traversing in between with even the down portions being treacherous with the gravel on the trail.

It’s great that people want to be healthy and to push themselves to try things that they have never done before. I also like the fact that it integrates teamwork and completion of the course and not the importance of the time clock. 

An event like this takes much time and endurance to prepare for the difficult terrain and obstacles. It takes effort, commitment and strength to continue during the time when one might prefer to quit. I wonder what could be accomplished for the kingdom of God if all Christians were as dedicated as the Tough Mudder participants. 

Lord help me to be dedicated to knowing You, serving You and carrying out Your will. 

1 Corinthians 9:24-25 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!