Full Circle



Its funny how certain experiences trigger unexpected emotions. One of those incidents happened today. My daughter texted me – “I’m at the airport and see my old kindergarten teacher from First Pres. What’s her name again?”

The feelings of gratitude filled my eyes with tears, remembering how that special lady, Mrs. Clark, had help to mold and change a little girl’s future. Over thirty years ago when Margaret was in kindergarten in Fort Worth, TX I was told by a teacher that my daughter had many learning disabilities and would never be successful in school, would not be able to read and that she should definitely be held back. These words were devastating to me. After all this was my first born child and we thought she was pretty perfect.

Only a few weeks after the heartbreaking news we moved from Texas to my hometown of Jackson, MS. Margaret was put into a kindergarten class at First Presbyterian Christian School. A conference was held with her teacher to inform her about what the previous teacher had concluded. Mrs. Clark was surprised at the news, since she had been observing Margaret for a couple of weeks in the classroom. 


The kind teacher suggested that Margaret stay after class for 30 minutes each day for a couple of weeks. We gladly agreed, not really sure of what she had planned, but at that point we were up for anything that might help. After only two weeks of after school instruction Margaret began reading and thriving in the classroom. 

What made the difference? We were never really sure, but I think it was the teaching style of the two women. One was loud, boisterous, demanding and overpowering. The other was soft spoken, gentle, loving, kind and patient. 

I will always believe that God moved us in the middle of a school year to get my daughter out of a situation that could have been detrimental to her development and placed her into the classroom with just the perfect teacher who could bring out the best in her…after all we only lived there a year and a half before moving back to the same place.

Over the years I have thanked God for that teacher; that’s why the tears welled up in my eyes this morning. My daughter was finally able to tell her wonderful kindergarten teacher how much she meant to her, to tell her that she too had become a teacher and was also able to introduce her son, Will, who had just graduated from kindergarten to Mrs. Clark. It all seemed to have come full circle.

The beloved teacher was on her way to Houston for monthly chemo treatments. She has been fighting the disease since 1987, only five years after Margaret was a student in her classroom. She is now 83 years old but easily recognizable to someone whose life was changed by her. 

Thank you God for Mrs. Clark and other teachers like her who are transforming lives every day.

Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!