Like Father Like Son

* He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.  ~Clarence Budington Kelland

* A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty.  ~Author Unknown 

* When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.  But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.  ~Author unknown, commonly attributed to Mark Twain 

Like father, like son...we hear the phrase often. This week I observed it happening in church. A dad sitting with his two year old son was playing around with him, by tapping the child on the head with the bulletin. The young boy immediately climbed up in the chair next to his dad and tapped him on the head with a piece of paper. I laughed to myself thinking that children imitating their parents begins at such an early age.

It really makes you think about the importance of our words and actions because little eyes are watching all of the time. They observe you at your best and at your worst and will copy both of them. We talk with our mouth, giving instructions to children, but unless the words are backed up with actions that match, they will probably go unheeded.

It’s not just true with dads, but with mothers and other people of influence. So be careful to set the best example possible for the little ones watching you.

"My son, do not hate the Lord's training.
Do not object when He corrects you.
The Lord trains those He loves.
He is like a father
who trains the son he is pleased with."
Proverbs 3:11-12
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!