Two Plain Janes


Earlier this week I shared with you about the beautiful woman who was not so pretty when she showed her “real self” by screaming across the airport in anger just because she missed the family boarding call. Today I want to tell you about two plain Janes that I encountered the same day who showed their true inner beauty.

The Southwest Airlines plane had only middle seats available when it was time for me to board. The passengers already on the plane obviously did not want to share their middle seat with anyone, so I looked for the least threatening pair to request a seat in their center spot. It just so happen that there were two large women; you probably know the type. They had plastic purses, tightly curled perms, wore sweatshirt cardigans and donned no makeup or jewels. They were just good ole people, with no pretenses. I would be safe asking them if I could sit between them and they graciously allowed me entrance into their row.

The two ladies happened to be a mother daughter pair. That was my first clue that I was going to like them, because if they were traveling for pleasure with each other that probably meant that they liked each other and had fun being together which is a great characteristic for family members to possess. The mother of the pair was the chatty one, so I heard much of the family history from her—there had been seven children and they were all successful. (I’m not sure what her definition of success was, but it may have been a bit different from the way the world describes it, because it didn’t sound like any of them were rich and famous.)

The conversation progressed and I found out that we shared a love of cooking. “Mom” told me how she prepared her meatballs, lasagna, vegetables and the world’s best chocolate chip cookies. My mouth was watering as I learned that her Christmas gift for her children and grandchildren is to stock their freezer with prepared meals to make their busy lives easier.

Because of her age and the fact that she lived on a farm, I assumed she probably didn’t know much about computers and other technology, however I was wrong on both accounts. She had published a cookbook for her friends and family using her computer that was so popular it had to be reprinted. (I requested a copy, but she didn’t have an extra one with her.)  I was also told about her brand new Kitchen Aid heavy duty mixer that she used to make industrial sized recipes.

When the hour long trip was over, I wished for more time to spend with the two Plain Janes. Although there was not much about either of them that the world would consider beautiful, I saw great beauty radiating from inside both of the women. They were kind and generous, thoughtful and loving, content and helpful, good and hardworking—characteristics we should all strive for daily. After all, God’s Word says that our beauty should not come from the outside appearance, but that inner beauty is worth much in God’s eyes.  

1 Peter 3:3-4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 

Comments

Margaret said…
I needed to hear this tonight, Mom. Thanks for shining and sharing your inner beauty!
We all need to be reminded not to spend so much time on our looks, but on matters of the heart. I love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!