My Unsung Hero

I had an amazing lunch last summer. It was with a new friend and fellow Texan that I met a year ago on a plane ride. Her 32 year old son was with us too. Davis is his name and he was fascinating to me.

He had a great sense of humor, was warm, and welcoming. I felt loved and accepted immediately. Davis was kind, quick to trust someone new and had such a positive outlook. You could tell he loved people. 

Although it was my first time to meet Davis, I felt that I had known him for a long time because he was so fun and easy to be with but also because his mother had told me so much about him when we first met months ago. While on the plane his mother had also described the eye surgery that he was going to be having the following day, so I had prayed for him at that time and several others times when my new friend let me know of other prayer needs.

I’ve described some of Davis’s wonderful characteristics, but there is one more thing about him you need to know--he is not your ordinary 32 year old, although he works and lives somewhat independently, his mind does not work exactly as yours and mine. As a premature baby, he had bleeding in his brain and then hydrocephalus which caused some mental challenges, but in spite of his differences, I’m not sure that I will ever be the same after spending time with him.

Before lunch Davis had given me the news of what was going on in his life. He would be moving downstairs in the facility where he lives and that his daddy was coming to town that night. He told me of past experiences and of his love of all kinds of vehicles, from fast sporty cars to trains and fire engines. He spoke of fondly family and friends of all ages.

When lunch came his mother asked if Davis wanted to bless the food and he readily said yes. What was in store for me was the biggest blessing of the afternoon. He started out with “God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for this food”, then he continued on by praying for his move and his daddy’s trip along with other ordinary things in his life. It was simple, it was pure, it was perfect because it was real and from the heart and I was quite sure that God was looking down smiling. That’s why I want to be just like Davis, my new unsung hero.

Thank you Lord for giving me the privilege of meeting and knowing a precious young man like Davis. Help me to have childlike faith like his.

Luke 18:16 But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!