Past Fears

On the news this morning I heard that 10 people had to be rescued from a 60 foot Ferris wheel after an observant carnival worker noticed a split in one of the parts and immediately stopped the ride to prevent further damage. I had to chuckle to myself, thinking back to my childhood days. My best friend, Gail, loved Ferris wheels, so one September evening at the State Fair, she convinced me to ride with her. I approached the double wheel ride with great apprehension, but was assured by Gail that it would be great. As the wheel began turning I was so terrified that I didn’t even make it around one of the rotations of the smaller wheel before I was screaming and pleading to the ride operator to let me off. Apparently I was convincing enough because he stopped it just for me to get off. Standing on solid ground, shaking from the event, I watched Gail ride it all alone in awe, wishing that I was that brave.

This fear of heights followed me into my adulthood, so when my daughters were small and wanted to go to Six Flags, I was challenged. Lynn, my youngest child, was always the daredevil and wanted to ride all of the fastest, highest and scariest rides and I was afraid to ride even the Mexican Hat Ride that barely took you off of the ground.

It was time to face my fears and do something about them, so I prayed and asked God to take them away. Guess What??? He answered my prayers. Why hadn’t I thought to pray about it sooner? Just think of all of the things I missed because I let my fear get in the way instead of looking to God in faith.

Since God released me of my fear I have experienced the magnificent London Eye, viewing the entire city from 439 feet in the air, the Toronto CN Tower Glass Floor at 1122 feet off the ground, and even zip-lining in the rain forest of Costa Rica. Years ago I was not able to ride a carnival ride that was probably only 30 feet off the ground, but this morning as I watched the rescue, I actually thought it would have been fun to have been stuck at the top of the ride-- now you can see why I was chuckling.

What is inhibiting your life today? Will you ask God to release you from the bondage that keeps you from enjoying life to the fullest?

Matthew 7:7 Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you.



Comments

Margaret said…
thanks for sharing your past fear of heights...it gives me hope that my fear will some day be taken away too!

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!