Father's Day

Father's Day brings up different emotions for each person. Many people find that it is a wonderful day to celebrate the great men in their lives who have made a difference by their love, example and life. For others , however, it may be a day filled with pain because the dads that they had were not so good. Those men may have abandoned their child in life to fend for themself, or they may have been abusive, or maybe they just simply had more "important things" in their lives.

I have a theory that people tend to view their heavenly Father by the way that they see their earthly fathers. So those who have fathers who shown love see God as loving and kind while those who have dads that are harsh tend to see God as being mean or angy. This is of course is not always true, but it is something that makes you think about the huge responsibilities that dads have in the lives of their children.

I was one of the fortunate kids to have a great daddy. My father was a good man who loved his family and always set the standard high for us. He was a man of integrity and was an example in his career, in the community and most of all in our family. People respected my dad because he always stood for the right things--honesty, truth, kindness, generosity, love, forgiveness, compassion and the list could go on and on. It is very easy for me to see God in a positive way because of the wonderful model that I grew up with, yet he balanced his love with a dose of discipline when needed, just as God must do with us at times. I miss my father, but have great comfort that I will see him again one day.

Today, I thank God for the father that He gave me and pray that even if you did not have a father who was an example of our heavenly Father that you will come to know our God for who He truly is. What will you do this week to help you know Him better?

Ephesians 1:17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

The photo shows my dad, Thomas L Wright, who was an avid golfer with Arnold Palmer.

Comments

Christy said…
What a handsome man your Daddy was! I was wondering why you were posting a picture of Arnold Palmer and some other celebrity, until I read your caption

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!