Crutch or Lifeline?



Has anyone ever said that your faith is just a crutch? I have and I was very offended by it, until I really stopped to think about it.

A crutch is something that you need, something you depend on, something that helps you along the way. So why in the world would I be offended by needing something like that? Perhaps it's because it was meant to be a derogatory statement toward me. It was meant to say that I needed something to lean on because I was weak or frail or dependent.

A crutch is meant to support, to assist temporarily, so maybe it is not the best term to describe what my faith is to me. Perhaps a lifeline would be a better description. A rope for saving lives, yes that' what my faith is. It saves me from death, and it saves me for life. Without it I wouldn't be able to get out of bed.

So the next time someone says my faith is just a crutch, I'll correct them, not by saying its not only a crutch, but by letting them know it is so much more.

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave His life for me. Galatians 2:20

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!