Why Did Jesus Have to Die?



It was an amazing sight to behold…Roman soldiers walking down Highway 6 in our small community. That was the first thing that caught my eye, but then I realized that there was more. Jesus was just ahead of them carrying a cross. And as I continued my gaze, there were children following carrying posters with messages of hope, including John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son that who ever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.”


I wondered who was reenacting this scene from Good Friday. So I quickly turned my car around to do a little investigating. I had my suspicions and they proved correct. As I got out of my car, I saw Pastor Dan from another church in the Valley and found out that it was the youth group from his church, making the 10 mile journey to proclaim the Good News of Jesus. 


Pastor Dan informed me that many cars had honked and displayed thumbs up as they passed the group. However he also said that there had been cars that showed their displeasure by other finger messages and that one passerby had been so bold as to roll their windows down and shouted, “The Bible is a book of lies and fables,” but nothing could dampen the spirits of the youth as they showed the world their faith.


Have you ever stopped to think about why Jesus had to die? It can be a sobering process. Here are some of the reasons that I came up with. See if you can add to the list.


He died and rose from the grave because:

  • I am a sinner 1 Corinthians 15:3
  • He loved me too much to leave me in my sin John 3:16
  • He wants me to be a part of His family Romans 8:15
  • He wants me to live with Him forever in heaven John 11:25-26
  • He wants me to be holy and righteous, acceptable to be in His presence Ephesians 1:4
  • He wants me to have hope in this world and hope for the future 1 Peter 1:3
  • He wants to have a relationship with me 1 Peter 2:9
  • He had to destroy satan’s power Acts 26:17-19
  • He wants me to have abundant life John 10:10

The death of Jesus must have seemed like an end to His disciples and others who loved and followed Him. If Jesus had just died for a good cause He would have been like many others. But the grave could not hold Him. No, He didn’t stay in the grave, but burst forth from the tomb with the power of life. That’s why the empty tomb gives us hope. 


He is risen! He is risen indeed!


Matthew 28:5-6 The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!