What Can I Give Him?



A cross-stitched poem adorns my wall this time of year. It’s a pretty common saying so you might have heard it before:

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd I would bring Him my lamb.
If I were a wise man I would do my part.
Yet what can I give Him? I’ll give Him my heart.

The poem by Christina Rossetti is a beautiful statement of what God expects from us. It implies that no matter how much or how little we have isn’t really that important. After all, no matter how much money we have we are still poor in comparison to God riches and we really have little that is worth anything to Him. 

A shepherd would only be able to bring a little lamb and the wise men couldn’t do much better, but there is one thing that we can all bring…our hearts.

That’s really all that God wants anyway because if we give Him our hearts, He will also get our lives and our obedience to use for His good and His glory. Money and possessions don’t really count for much in God’s eyes but our hearts and lives are of utmost importance and something we all have to give Him.

Hebrews 10:22a Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith.

www.hearthope.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bavarian Cream Pie

Mount of the Holy Cross

My Latest Award!